Dr. M. N. Buch held several important government posts during his civil service which include District Collector, District Magistrate, Director and Commissioner and Principal Secretary of various departments like Forests and Town country planning, Tribal Welfare, Housing, etc. in Govt. of Madhya Pradesh.
The positions held by him include:
- Vice Chairman - Delhi Development Authority DDA
- Vice-Chairman - National Commission on Urbanization
- Director General of the National Institute of Urban Affairs NIUA
- Chairman - Lutyens Bungalow Zone Committee of the Government of India
- Chairman - Committee on the Heritage Zone of Mehrauli
- Chairman - Empowered Committee for the New Vidhan Sabha building in Madhya Pradesh
- Dean - Centre for Governance and Political Studies
- Incumbent Chairman - National Centre for Human Settlements and Environment
- Chairman - Board of Governors ABV – Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, IIITM, Gwalior
- Incumbent Chairman - ABV Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, IIITM.